Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Friend, The Shanster

It is nearing the one year anniversary of the death of my friend, The Shanster aka Mark Shannon aka Mark Jackson Fullerton.  He was a descendant of Andrew Jackson, you know.  Rarely a day passes that I don't think of him and when golf time rolls around, he is everywhere.  Not a great golfer but an avid golfer.  Best round was at Kickingbird several years ago - 71 (one over par) and I had the privilege to be there.  Below are some videos that were taken on my new Ipod during the last week of Mark's life on earth. Reminisce with me and rejoice that Mark is free from pain and suffering and safe in the arms of Jesus.


April 30, 2010 Baptist Hospital

May 3, 2010 Baptist Hospital



May 5, 2010 Baptist Hospital 




May 6, 2010 Baptist Hospital

The last video was the last time that I saw Mark alive.  However, I do plan to see him again in Heaven because our sins were paid for by the death on the cross of Jesus Christ.  I visit the cemetery now and then and talk to Mark and in memory of one year since his home-going, I have penned another infamous verse.  It may sound corny but, hey, I ain't got much gray matter left to work with.  Here goes.
 
      Missing the Shanster
How time flies, it’s been one year
But oh how often, you still feel near
Life’s not the same without you, pal
I still feel your spirit, so does your gal
I listen sometimes to the Eggman at night
But without your voice, it doesn’t seem right

Every so often I drive through  Gracelawn
Just to remind me,  the Shanster really is gone
Roger, Daryl, Louis, others and me
Still tee it up, Saturday  even saw Duffy
That grey Infiniti seems to be everywhere
Perhaps it’s a sign telling me you’re there

Experiencing streets of gold and gates of pearl
What a comfort! You’re in the real world
When first we met, at Russ’ Bible study
I’m sure you thought, what a fuddy-duddy
I thought who is this loud-mouthed guy?
Just shut your trap and give God a try.

Slowly the Spirit began to shape and mold
Your witness for the Savior was new and bold
Far-right, far-left, and neither of the two
The committee had members, was one of them you?
No matter the rant, no matter the rave
You let others know only Jesus can save

I admired your motto, not middle of the road
You joined the tea-party, musta been a load
I still see you there, Bosox baseball cap and all
That cap is on my desk, almost makes me bawl
Since I’ve been a Yankee fan for life,
Looking at that cap sorta causes me strife.

The country is in trouble same as it was
Obama’s is wrong, no matter what he does
Republicans won the house because of our debt
Bush added a few trillion, let’s don’t forget
Government keeps growing, how long can it last
Gas and grocery prices may cause us to fast

Just answered the door, old lady of blonde
Jehovah Witness she was, said Jesus ain’t God
Only 144,000 going to heaven according to her
Said God is love, no hell could ever occur
Told her she was wrong, would be her home
Christ is God, so she’ll spend eternity alone

Guess you heard the latest about Osama
Who’s taking all the credit? Right, Obama
Guess you’ve recently seen Juanita Rice,
Think of her when I see the adjective – nice
Sure you’ve seen others including Russ
Probably talking doctrine, making a fuss

When will be rest of us be joining you?
Sure it will be like a bolt from the blue
Then we’ll all be perfect and set free
Our joy will be complete, we’ll be full of glee
Until that happens, we mustn’t hurry
We must abide and reflect his glory

I love you pal and long for that day
When another round of golf we’ll play
Hole one’s par will equal eternity
And number eighteen will be infinity
Wonders unimaginable, but this I see
Jesus Christ, the church, and you and me


Drano



No comments:

Post a Comment