Thursday, October 9, 2014

Knee Replacement, Part II

Most of you know that I had my right knee replaced on December 7, 2012 (Pearl Harbor day and the 52nd anniversary of my dad's burial at Maple Grove cemetery in Seminole, OK).  Here is the before picture.


Just a little bow-legged
Never having had major surgery, I didn't really know what to expect.  No amount of doctor's instructions, internet blogs, or advice from those who have been through the surgery can prepare you for what is to come.
I remember that the peace of God was present leading up to the surgery and, since I slept through it, the surgery was the easiest part of the whole ordeal.    I kept a journal from day one and recorded my progress or lack thereof.  Adjustment to pain medication would be close to the top of my list of discomforts because your entire body from head to toe responds to the narcotics.  To kill the pain, it appears that the medication also kills all other bodily functions.  Those who have experienced it know what I mean so I will spare you the details.  A hint - regularity heads for the hills!

I had several visits to physical therapy in March 2007 following arthroscopic surgery to my left knee but I still was not prepared for the (to me) abuse I was about to experience under the watchful eyes and hands of Breah and Erin, the two physical terrorists (therapists) assigned to me.  Only once during the 19 visits did I get really cross with them (in a Christian sort of way, I hope) but on more than one occasion, I could easily have slugged them (not really).  It is hard for me to imagine a job where you are forced to cause pain to some really nice people but different strokes, you know.  Anyway, twenty-one months after the surgery for the right knee, it became apparent that the other knee was not going to get any better.

After right-knee replacement

So I scheduled the surgery for September 12, 2014.  At the time that the doctor's office called and wanted to move the surgery up a day to September 11, I said sure not realizing it was the 9/11 anniversary.  Oh well, should be as easy to remember as Pearl Harbor day.  Leading up to the surgery, I replayed as many of the events as I could from the first surgery.  Again, the peace of God reigned supreme and I never once doubted that HE would be with me, regardless of the outcome.  Events surrounding the trip on the gurney from the prep room to the operating room are very vivid from both surgeries and also very different.  There are nine operating rooms at McBride Hospital on Broadway Extension and we went north this time instead of south and all the way to the end of the hall before making a left into the OR.  The anesthesiologist put the oxygen mask over my face and said to breath normally and then I awakened in room 118.  Don't really recall much about the first few hours and the pain was tolerable.

After second knee replacement

As you can see above my legs appear to be much straighter now.  Both episodes have parallels and similarities but also major differences.  I have experienced much less pain this time but much more stiffness.  I took my last narcotic pain pill ten days after this surgery.  I was still taking them every now and then six weeks after the first surgery.  One added benefit to weaning off of the pain meds was that I could begin driving after getting the staples out on 9-22.  Joyce was very appreciative of this and I felt a little freedom also.

I have entered the notes and readings from my journal into a spread sheet and it is easy to compare my progress for both surgeries.  My flexion (bending angle goal is about 120) and extension (straightening angle goal is zero) numbers are beginning to align with my flexion not quite as good but my extension being much better.  Yesterday (10-8) was the first day that I began to feel that there was a light at the end of the rehab tunnel.  I couldn't see the light yet but I caught a glimpse of the tunnel.  One good sign is that I keep misplacing my walking cane around the house.  In fact, I went all night without it last night which included three trips to the necessary room.

I have completed 10 rehab sessions out of 20 that are scheduled and I don't see my surgeon until Oct 28th. With rehab being M-W-F, I am still required to do at least two sets of exercises daily.  Haven't missed many but sometimes I take a little break on Sundays since I have went to church the last two weeks.  I am pretty self-sufficient except for the white ted hose that I have to wear when I am up and Joyce puts that on for me.  The therapist said I had to wear it a least 4-6 weeks so maybe just two weeks or so to go since today is my four-week surgery anniversary.  

My numbers yesterday were flexion-108 and extension-1.  My numbers for the right knee ended up at 110 and 10 when the surgeon dismissed me.  The right knee numbers are now 110 and 0 so my numbers on the left knee are almost the same or better than the right knee was at the end of therapy.  I am hoping the therapy can end early with the recommendation of the therapist based on my current left-knee numbers.  I will still need to exercise for several months to regain strength but the therapists' main concern is ROM (range of motion).  If those numbers don't come around, additional surgery is used to force the ROM to where it needs to be.  What a horrible thought even though it is out-patient under a general anesthetic.

I know this is not as interesting to you as it is to me but your whole life is almost consumed with it for a month or two.  I have a high pain-tolerance and I have not yelled once in therapy.  The last two nights of sleep have been relatively pain-free and this didn't happen with the right knee until six weeks or so.  Through both surgeries, the will to keep going gets very weak at times but by focusing on the fact that the Creator God of the universe is my Savior and Lord and is walking beside me gives me the strength to go on.  With his presence, I will complete my recovery and will continue to praise HIM for has abundant blessings.  I pray that he is your Savior and Lord.  He is THE way, THE truth, and THE life.  There is no other hope for a lost and dying world.  Do not delay.  Turn to Christ NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment