Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Someone May Be Watching You


 
 
Many years ago, I heard someone say, probably in a sermon, "Tis one life, will soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last".  I am certain that I probably thought little about what that really meant.  As I approach three-score and ten this month, the significance of this poem is much greater.  Our Bible reading plan this year is chronological so we have already read most of the Psalms.  In Psalms 90, we read:  Ps 90:10  The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.  My strength varies from day to day and my times are in his hands but I do think about what will be left behind when I cross over to the other side.  I found the entire content of the quote in the poem below and discovered who the author was - C. T Studd (1860-1931).  He was a missionary to China, India, and Africa.  One of my favorite quotes of his is:  Some wish to live within the sound of Church or Chapel bell; I want to run a Rescue Shop within a yard of hell."—
 
He was blessed with a gift of writing of poems and pithy sayings and lived what he wrote.  Oh, that we would all live up to our words, both written and spoken.
 
When thinking about what we do that will affect the lives of others for eternity, it is not necessary to focus so much on special effects or unusual activities, but to just make sure that we are living Godly lives as naturally as eating and breathing.  In other words, all of our existence is a spiritual existence when we become a child of God and we can't separate the spiritual from the physical.  We don't live one life in private and another life in public.  We are genuine all the time and are always exihibiting the fruit of the Spirit.  If we do this, we might be amazed at the influence we have on the lives of others because someone is always watching even when we do not know they are.
 
 
The following paper was composed by my son, Mike, as part of a class assignment many years ago.  My wife had it filed away and I ran across it a few years ago.  After reading it, I was amazed at his insight into my soul and impressed that he had been paying attention.  After his adoption into our family as a newborn in 1972, I prayed and thanked God every night for placing him in our family.  I wasn't the perfect father by any means but I did want to exhibit my spiritual side to Mike.  I saw a slight amount of that in my father and looking back over the years, I can see how it affected me deeply.  Anyway, I don't want to get maudlin but wanted to share this paper so that you may become more aware that someone may be watching your life and you, too, can affect them in ways that will last for all eternity.  I pray that this will bless you and I know that it continues to bless me every time I read it.  By the way, he got an 'A' on the paper as you can see at the end of the last page.
 
 







 


No comments:

Post a Comment