Monday, April 23, 2012

Glenda Joy Weese Collins Boles - April 10, 1944 - April 21, 2012

Glenda's Facebook Picture

Glenda and Great-Grandaughter Izzy on April 10, 2012
Glenda left this world for a better place on April 21, 2012.  I don't remember life without Glenda.  My sister and Glenda's mother, Louanna Pearl Walker Weese, died in November, 1945 at the age of 23.  Glenda had an older sister, Carolyn, and an older brother, Carl David (known as Corky).  I have no memories of Pearl, only pictures.  Glenda's dad, Carl, raised the three kids mostly by himself for many years although I do remember a housekeeper (nanny in today's vernacular) named Edith that assisted Carl.  The three kids became regulars at our house out in the country for most summers that I can remember and we became more like brothers and sisters, or at least cousins, than uncle (me) and nieces and nephew (them).  Being a boy, I was closer to Corky than the girls but we were all real close family and have a multitude of wonderful childhood memories both in Oklahoma and Phillips, Texas where they lived at 4 Stone St.

Due to a worn-out memory, the following may or may not be 100% accurate as far as sequence of events but facts out-of order still remain facts in my own feeble mind.  Corky was married more than once but I could not begin to name his wives.  He stayed with Joyce and I in Oklahoma City right after we go married (almost caused an early end to the marriage) and was married to Sudie and had more than one offspring.  My recollection includes Carla, Charlotte, and Dewayne but not 100% sure.  Carolyn married Don Harris and had five great kids who are still around, Danny, Tony, Debbie, Valerie, and Donnie.  Glenda was married to Dillard Collins the first time I visited her but no children came from their marriage and she later married Travis Boles from whence came Tammie Lynn on October 3, 1975, two days before our adopted son, Mike, was born.

Joyce and I and the kids visited Glenda, Travis, and Tammie in Garland, Texas over the years.  Most of the visits were short and sweet and might include a meal together.  When Travis retired, they moved to Missouri where they lived until death took them, Travis in June, 2011, and Glenda in April, 2012.  I visited a couple of times in Missouri and I believe that Joyce and I also visited twice although the second visit was for Travis's funeral.  My first visit included a trip to the Riverboat somewhere in Illinois to do a little gambling.  My, how Glenda loved those slot machines.  We had a fun time.  This was the first time that I quizzed them on their faith and where they planned to spend eternity.  Travis was not really interested much but Glenda testified to her faith and that she was sure of heaven.  This same scenario was repeated at least two more times over the years and every time I spoke with Glenda on the phone, she reaffirmed her trust in God and kept saying that Travis was close to believing.

As events unfolded, Travis was taken ill in June of last year and it appeared that his time was very short.  Tammie Lynn asked her pastor to visit Travis in the hospital and he professed Christ as his Savior and was baptised a few days before his death.  Based on this conversion and Glenda's assurance of hers, their spirits are now present with the Lord.  Their physical bodies may be still and silent but I assure you that their spirits will never die.  The Bible tells us that one day the spirit and body will be reunited in another form, like that of Jesus' resurrected body and we will live forever with him.  What a day that will be, when my Jesus I shall see, when I look upon his face, the one who saved me by his grace, then he'll take me by the hand and lead me through the promised land, what a day, glorious day that will be - so says the old spiritual song - What a Day!  The scriptures speak of this new body in I Corinthians 15:35-58.  When this will occur is covered in I Thessalonians 4:13-18.  Jesus Christ will come back for his bride, the church.

Are you part of that church?  I don't mean Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Episcopal, etc.  I mean the universal body of Chist which includes everyone for all time that has, by faith, believed on Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.  Have you received and accepted the Gospel - the Good News?

Here are some important points to remember:
  • Jesus Christ is God (He is the Son of God and Lord)
  • Jesus Christ is human (He is the Son of man)
  • Man is a guilty sinner by nature and choice.  Because of this, man is separated from and totally helpless before a holy God
  • Jesus Christ lived a perfectly sinless and righteous life and died in our place for our sins
  • Jesus Christ rose bodily from the dead
  • Salvation is by God's grace, apart from works, through faith in Jesus Christ and His work alone

Alastair Begg, a popular radio preacher of today sums up the gospel beautifully.

Here's the gospel in a phrase.  Because Christ died for us, those who trust in him may know that their guilt has been pardoned once and for all.  What will we have to say before the bar of God's judgment?  Only one thing.  "Christ died in my place.  That's the gospel."

Because of acceptance of this gospel, we will meet Travis and Glenda again on that blissful, golden shore where we will be together forevermore.  Won't you join us?  Don't delay!

No comments:

Post a Comment