Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Thoughts

Time flies when you are nearing three score and ten.  An even bigger problem is that you can't remember what occurred during the flight!  Haven't blogged in a month and a half.  No excuse except that I have been busy researching and reading in preparation for writing a paper dealing with Christianity and how it compares to another ever-growing religion of our day.  Anyhow, here are some thoughts that have whizzed through my head lately.  You can determine the sanity and/or profoundedness of them.

  • Why do we give food baskets only on Thanksgiving.  Are these people not hungry the other 364 days?
  • Juxtapose that thought with our focus on Christmas presents for needy families at this season.  Does no one care the rest of the year?
  • Is Black Friday the opposite of Good Friday?  Gifts, anyone?
  • Am I the only person I know that can do my Christmas shopping in two hours counting travel time?  Maybe another thirty minutes on-line to make sure no one was left out!
  • Do I still dread the Christmas season because my father passed away in December 1960 and I still carry guilt from not being in a close relationship with him?
  • SInce I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions, why do I start thinking around Christmas of all of the things I will do better/differently next year?  Why not start December 26 if I am serious about those improvements? Topics include self-discipline in a myriad of areas:  food, exercise, idleness, prayer, Bible study, witnessing, journaling (blogging), serving others, focusing more on God and others than me, etc.
  • SInce Joyce is retiring at the end of next June, what changes will we be making both individually and as a couple?
  • Are the Republicans just as incompetent as the Democrats?
  • Will we survive another fours years of Obama?
  • Will I continue to attend too many funerals and is mine scheduled for 2012?
  • Sammy turns 14 next year and Charlie and Mollie turn 9.  Are three dogs too many?
  • Will Joyce and I need to occupy our storm shelter that was just installed on 12-19?
Well, I could go on and on but some of my thoughts scare even me.  My latest book is "Think Like Jesus" by George Barna.  If I can get my focus properly aligned with the life of Christ, all of these issues will be of no significance.  Ran across a picture that fit perfectly some of my prayer thoughts of the past few weeks.  Hope you enjoy it and that you have a Merry CHRISTmas.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment