Thursday, July 21, 2011

Dachshunds and Other Dogs - Part IV

Sammy, Charlie, and Mollie

This is our current brood and they are all long-haired dachshunds.  Sammy was our first long-hair and he sold us on the breed although dogs are a lot like donuts, had to find one that I don't like.  Sammy was given to us and is the only dog we have ever owned that came with a pedigree (big deal).  He became an it before he discovered sex.  In fact, that has happened to all of our weinie dogs since Trixie.  Based on our current political scene, maybe we should sterilize all politicians...............Just joking, I think!

Sammy's personality bloomed late because of being raised with Mary Lou and Emi Lou.  He learned early on that begging really paid off in the Walker household.  Once he figured out that he wasn't very tall, he began sitting up like a bean-pole.  Can even do it on the hardwood floor if food is at stake.  He developed a raspy bark a couple of years ago and begins exercising his vocal cords about an hour or so before evening feeding time just in case we have forgotten.  Since he lived here when Charlie and Mollie arrived, he has his bluff in and has turned into a grouchy old man, sounds like another male that lives here.

Sammy turned 13 on April 19

Best beggar that we've ever had.  Taught himself to sit up.


Good old Molly as long as you don't bend down to pet her.  If you do, she turns on the faucet especially if Joyce or Sheri are the wannabe petters.  I have learned that you need to be stationary and let Molly come to you for petting.  With food, it is a different story.  If I had a stop watch, I would time her at feeding time.  Each dog gets 1/2 cup of dry food and about 2 tbsp of canned and I think Molly eats hers in about five seconds and waits around for the other two bowls to be empty so she can sanitize them with her tongue.  She fits right in with the Walker clan, heaviest of the bunch.  She spends the night in her crate and finally has the routine down when bedtime comes.  She gets a doggie treat but only after getting into her crate.  Old dog - new trick- some sort of miracle.



Molly turned 8 on July 28.  Charlie is her brother.

This is Charlie, my favorite living dog.  Also turned 8.

Charlie is my favorite living dog and is the sweetest natured dog that we have had in a long time.  Since Joyce still works part-time and I have been retired almost five years, Charlie follows me around a lot.  If I go to the home office, here he comes.  If I go to the family room, here's Charlie.  If I go outside (his personal favorite), he is through the doggie door and in the grass before I ever clear the patio.  If I water the trees and crape myrtles (almost 30 days of 100 or better already this year), Charley's eyes light up and when he hears the timer go off, he beats me to the door.  We have dogs on all three sides of the backyard and Charlie loves to goad the other dogs into barking and running along the stockade fence.  He doesn't care that he is smaller than the doberman, the akita, and the sheltie, he thinks he is bigger, faster, and louder.  He probably also realizes that none of them can get through the fence so his bravado stays inflated.


Charlie's tail is constant motion.  Best howler we've ever had.
Us guys gotta stick together.  Mollie is sorta shy.
You're looking at one of the three reasons that the carpeting was replaced.
Walker security system.  We have never been invaded by elephants.
They can't understand why dogs walking by keep ignoring their barks.


OK, there you have in four quick blogs, the Walker family dog history.  Do I love dogs?  Absolutely.  Will the current brood be replaced after they leave for doggie heaven.  My head says no but my heart usually wins where dogs are concerned.  Based on the average, Sammy doesn't have long left and in God's marvelous plan, perhaps Charlie and Molly will outlive me and I won't have to make the replacement decision.  I thank God that his creation included something so wonderful as dogs but I would be remiss if I didn't thank him for the greatest gift.  The blood of Christ purchased my salvation at Calvary and he offers that same salvation to you.  If Christ does not reign in your life, please turn to him today while there is still time.  For my fellow believers, lean on and live the following.

1 Cor 6:19-20 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.









No comments:

Post a Comment