Thursday, July 7, 2011

Man's Best Friend

Show me a man that doesn't love dogs - well, maybe you better not because I would have no use for him.  I have always loved dogs and this blog and the next few will discuss dogs that I have lived with and loved for most of my life.

My first dog was Blackie and we got him from our preacher who kept a littermate.  Blackie was part chow and part shepherd.  The chow part manifested itself by a black tongue and a propensity for fighting, usually with his littermate who lived about one-half mile away and would visit with his owners, the preachers sons, David and Richard.  I remember how afraid I became whenever the dogs would fight and I always felt helpless.  David or Richard (Busbee) would try to grab the dogs' tails to separate them and I guess it finally would work.  Here is what Blackie and I looked like in the 1950's.


These pictures were taken in 1955.  The first one was on the front porch of the house I lived in from age 5 until age 18.  It was at Little, OK which is half way between Seminole and Prague.  The second one was taken in the back yard and the window on the right was my bedroom window which was actually an enclosed back porch that was neither heated nor cooled.  I later moved into the inside bedroom and slept with my dad.  I had a floor fan for cooling but just added extra covers for heating in the winter.  I'm not sure central heat and air had been invented, at least not in Oklahoma. 

I remember that we gave Blackie away after my dad died and mom and I moved to Seminole.  We gave him to the Coates family (Harry and Cuba and their seven kids).  Harry Jr is a state senator and has made the news recently in a not too pleasant way.  You can contact me if you need more info.  Anyway I never saw Blackie again but he was my good buddy for many years even though he couldn't do any tricks except fight, eat, and sleep.  Reminds me of a growing number of our U.S. citizens.  Whoops, trying to not become political on my blog.  That just slipped out.  Watch out for more of my Dog and Pony, I mean Dog and Dog show in future blogs.

Acts 16:31

No comments:

Post a Comment